short stories...book excerpts...other writings...upon occasion or as prompted...
The tiger in the water? A representation of my life -- spirit and environment!

Followers

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Wait, And Be Patient with Others

Sometimes problems are resolved simply by patiently waiting. Impatience can make the people who should or could help with the problem nervous. Patience creates empathy, or at least sympathy, and the desire to help.

Once in coming into Moscow from Uzbekistan without a Russian visa, I had no ticket to prove that I would be leaving in 72 hours and therefore eligible to enter on my Uzbekistan visa. My flight from Bukhara, a town on the Uzbekistan-Tadzhikistan border, to Tashkent, the capital of Uzbekistan was smooth. In Tashkent, however, my plane to Moscow encountered technical difficulties, and it took me three days to reach Moscow. That meant I had to redo my ticket from Moscow to Houston, where I was living at the time. However, there is no Delta Airlines office anywhere in Uzbekistan, so the only possible way to redo the ticket was to have it changed in the computer at Sheremetovo II airport, from where I would depart Moscow for New York City. The unfortunate part of all this was that I was flying Transaero Airlines into Sheremetovo I, a different airport, located a few miles away from the one I would fly out of.

Upon arrival, I went to the transit point with the Uzbeks who were using Uzbekistan passports and airline tickets to pass through Moscow en route from one airport to another (Moscow has five airports). Everyone got through easily, except for me. My old ticket from Moscow to New York City, the required proof of departure, had expired the day before. The guard admitting the Uzbeks did not know what to do with me. So, he left to get his boss. I waited. (There was not much else I could do!)

When the boss returned, I patiently explained the whole story again to him. I did not act as if I were in a hurry. If they wanted to take all day, they could. I had no place special to be at any given time; my flight to New York was not until the next day. The boss allowed to the underling that I appeared to be trustworthy and that they might just let me through on my word.

"That's a grand idea," I said to him in Russian. He laughed and told me that I had yet another hurdle: passport control.

Off I went to passport control. There the guard frowned and asked how I had made it so far without a visa. I explained that the transit point guards had considered me harmless.

"Oh, then," he asked, "will they vouch for you?"

I had no idea what they would say. At the worst, I figured, I could always just wait until someone fixed the problem.

"Sure," I said with overt confidence although I was not sure at all.

It turned out not to be an issue; the guards vouched for me. I think they vouched for me because they liked the warm feeling they got from helping someone who was patient.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, yes...patience is a true virtue...often in short supply...I can always use more....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,

    The Sufis believe that God makes us wait deliberately because it is good for our souls and for our ultimate relationship with Him. Interesting thought...

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am the mother of 4 birth children (plus 3 others who lived with us) and grandmother of 2, all of them exceptional children. Married for 42 years, I grew up in Maine, live in California, and work in many places in education, linguistics, and program management. In my spare time, I rescue and tame feral cats and have the scars to prove it. A long-time ignorantly blissful atheist converted by a theophanic experience to Catholicism, I am now a joyful catechist. Oh, I also authored a dozen books, two under my pen name of Mahlou (Blest Atheist and A Believer-in-Waiting's First Encounters with God).

My Other Blogs

100th Lamb. This is my main blog, the one I keep most updated.

The Clan of Mahlou
. This is background information about various members of the extended Mahlou family. It is very much a work still in progress. Soon I will begin posting excerpts from a new book I am writing, Raising God's Rainbow Makers.

Modern Mysticism. This blog discusses the mystical in our pragmatic, practical, realistic, and rational 21st century world and is to those who spend some or much of their time in an irrational/mystical relationship with God. If such things do not strain your credulity, you are welcome to follow the blog and participate in it.

Recommended Reading List

Because I am blog inept, I don't quite know how to get a reading list to stay at the end of the page and not disappear from sight. Therefore, I entered it as my first post. I suppose that is not all that bad because readers started commenting about the books, even suggesting additional readings. So, you can participate with others in my reading list by clicking here.
I do post additional books as I read them and find them to be meaningful to me, and therefore, hopefully, meaningful to you. One advantage of all the plane traveling I do is that I acquire reading time that I might not otherwise take.
   

VISITOR COUNTER