short stories...book excerpts...other writings...upon occasion or as prompted...
The tiger in the water? A representation of my life -- spirit and environment!

Followers

Friday, March 12, 2010

In Plain View

Mommy really does have trouble with details. This is especially true if she cannot see them.

One time Mommy was invited to a posh hotel to deliver a speech in Washington, D.C. Mommy dressed up very fancy. She looked very nice. She gave her speech, and she left the posh hotel. For some reason, maybe because the weather was very nice, she decided to walk the mile to the metro station.

First, though, Mommy stopped off at the bathroom. There, she combed her hair, washed her hands, and put her backpack on. (Mommy almost always carries a backpack.) Then, she left the posh hotel.

As Mommy walked through the hotel lobby, people smiled. Mommy thought that they were being friendly. Well, maybe she did look a little funny in fancy clothes, high heel shoes, and a backpack. That did not bother Mommy. She was used to people thinking that she looked funny carrying a backpack when she was all dressed up.

Mommy walked all the way down Massachusetts Avenue to the metro station. People smiled at her on the way, and she smiled and waved back. It was such a nice day, and she was having such a nice walk. Why would she not want to smile?

When she got to the metro station, some nice lady came up to her and told her that she was having problems with her skirt again. She told Mommy that the back of her skirt and slip were rolled up behind her backpack. Mommy did not check that detail before leaving the bathroom; after all, she could not see the skirt in the back. And that is how Mommy ended up prancing about the nation's capital in her pink panties.

Conclusion: Watching where you are going is not always enough. Sometimes you also have to check your back side!

------------
This story is excerpted from a collection of vignettes that I helped Doah, my severely mentally challenged youngest son, to write and publish several years ago (copyright 2003). It was my attempt to help him understand literacy and the purpose of writing and reading.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my...I laughed until my chest hurt! I could envision that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This gave me a great smile - I am just glad it wasn't me. Of course since I dont wear a slip or a dress that gives me little peace of mind. I thought the story was going to end with a trail of toilet paper hanging out her back side. You topped that thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That could bring a smile to anyone :))

    But I could do the same thing, I am always in a hurry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, Grayquill, and M S, I am glad you enjoyed the story, and M S, I am glad to know that I am not the only one who ends up in such situations.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am the mother of 4 birth children (plus 3 others who lived with us) and grandmother of 2, all of them exceptional children. Married for 42 years, I grew up in Maine, live in California, and work in many places in education, linguistics, and program management. In my spare time, I rescue and tame feral cats and have the scars to prove it. A long-time ignorantly blissful atheist converted by a theophanic experience to Catholicism, I am now a joyful catechist. Oh, I also authored a dozen books, two under my pen name of Mahlou (Blest Atheist and A Believer-in-Waiting's First Encounters with God).

My Other Blogs

100th Lamb. This is my main blog, the one I keep most updated.

The Clan of Mahlou
. This is background information about various members of the extended Mahlou family. It is very much a work still in progress. Soon I will begin posting excerpts from a new book I am writing, Raising God's Rainbow Makers.

Modern Mysticism. This blog discusses the mystical in our pragmatic, practical, realistic, and rational 21st century world and is to those who spend some or much of their time in an irrational/mystical relationship with God. If such things do not strain your credulity, you are welcome to follow the blog and participate in it.

Recommended Reading List

Because I am blog inept, I don't quite know how to get a reading list to stay at the end of the page and not disappear from sight. Therefore, I entered it as my first post. I suppose that is not all that bad because readers started commenting about the books, even suggesting additional readings. So, you can participate with others in my reading list by clicking here.
I do post additional books as I read them and find them to be meaningful to me, and therefore, hopefully, meaningful to you. One advantage of all the plane traveling I do is that I acquire reading time that I might not otherwise take.
   

VISITOR COUNTER